Out Taco & Tequila Fiesta is returning this May! Find 0ut more ➢
5 Facts You Didn’t Know About Cinco De Mayo
Next week we launch our Taco & Tequila Fiesta at SoCal to celebrate Cinco De Mayo.
Keep reading to find out 5 facts you might not have known about Cinco De Mayo.
Falling on the 5th of May each year, Cinco De Mayo is a holiday that celebrates the Mexican army’s victory over France at the Battle of Puebla during the Franco-Mexican War in 1862. It can also be referred to as ‘Battle of Puebla Day’. It is a day of celebration of Mexican culture and heritage.
Keep reading to find out 5 facts you may not have known about Cinco De Mayo:
1. Cinco De Mayo in Spanish literally translates to the 5th of May. You’ll never forget the date it falls on again!
2. Cinco De Mayo is not Mexican Independence Day, as many people think. It commemorates a single battle, The Battle of Puebla. Mexican Independence Day falls on September 16th.
3. The battle of Puebla was not strategically significant in the war but was historically important as it grew the resistance movement. 6,000 French troops were sent to attack Puebla de Los Angeles, Mexico. In response 2,000 Mexican men were sent to battle. Although largely outnumbered the Mexicans won the battle, with the French retreating after losing nearly 500 soldiers. The victory symbolized the Mexicans strength and grew the resistance movement.
4. It is not considered a significant holiday in Mexico, it is only really celebrated in Puebla. In Mexico it is no longer considered a National Holiday. However, it is a huge celebration in the USA. In the US it is a day to celebrate the many people of Mexican decent, to appreciate their culture and heritage. The largest celebration is in Los Angeles, with street parades and parties throughout. It is a National Holiday in the USA.
5. People celebrate with authentic clothes, music, food & traditions. Colourful dresses are often worn, called ‘Puebla dresses’. Mariachi music is heard throughout the celebrations & events such as chihuahua races are held throughout the US.
At SoCal we are celebrating Cinco De Mayo with our huge Taco & Tequila Fiesta! Celebrate Mexican culture and heritage at SoCal with decorations, food and music.
Enjoy our Comedy Night, All you can eat tacos, Cocktail Masterclass, Chilli Eating Contest and Taco & Tequila Feast! Plus there will be live music, fun games, cocktail deals & more throughout the week.